Momentum Guidance and FAQ’S
What is the Momentum Fund?
Managed by PRS Foundation, the Momentum Music Fund awards grants of £5,000-£15,000 using funds from PRS Foundation, with support from PPL, Creative Scotland, Arts Council of Wales, Welsh Government, Arts Council of Northern Ireland and Invest NI, with additional funding and support from Spotify.
Momentum provides vital financial support which will help talented artists and bands to take their career to another level. Activities eligible for support include recording, writing, touring and marketing.
Are you eligible for Momentum funding?
If you can answer YES to the below questions you may qualify for the Momentum Music Fund and should consider applying.
- Are you an artist/band based in the UK?
- Do you write or perform your own music?
- Have you been profiled/featured in national press, media and received coverage in UK wide blogs as an artist/band?
- Have you played shows or been asked to play multiple shows across the UK?
- Do you have evidence of a strong fan base nationally and regionally?
- Do you have at least one team member (e.g. a manager, booking agent, record label, publisher, PR/Plugger, and/or lawyer)?
Who can apply?
Artists/Bands applying for the Momentum Music Fund must be at a crucial tipping point in their careers, showing current progression and growth as an artist with the potential to significantly develop their careers over the next two years.
- This application is not for artists/bands just starting out, demoing and playing their first gigs. If you are at an earlier stage in your career please click here for other funding options, including The Open Fund.
- Those working in contemporary popular music are more likely to be supported than those working in contemporary classical. We recommend The Composers’ Fund for composers at the ‘Next Level’ of their careers
- Those working behind the scenes as Songwriters or Producers with writing credits should apply to The Writer Producer Fund.
Applications can be made by artists/bands directly or representatives of the artist. Those who can apply on behalf of an artist are;
- Booking agent
- Trusted advisor to the artist
When can I apply?
We advise you make a start on the application when you’re sure you’re eligible for this fund and have a clear plan in place for the next stages of your career.
We run quarterly deadlines (see below) and aim to communicate back to all applicants with a decision within 8 weeks of a deadline.
How much can artists and bands apply for?
You can apply for £5,000 – £15,000 to contribute to the development of you as an artist. We recommend you budget realistically to show what you need. Our average Momentum grant is roughly £10,000
What can be funded?
- Recording – new album, EP, single, producer, engineer, mixer fees, studio hire, session musician fees, etc.
- Touring (UK only*) – travel, accommodation, musician fees, set/production design, tour management, equipment hire, etc.
- Marketing and promotions – PR, radio plugger, digital marketing, music videos, merchandise production, etc.
Note: We will prioritise contributing to expenditure which helps you/the artist to develop professionally and creatively.
*For artists and bands based in Northern Ireland we recognise that live dates in the Republic of Ireland will likely have a good career impact. As such we can support and encourage Momentum-funded dates to in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
What can’t be funded?
- Van/car purchase
- International touring
- Support for a roster of artists – each application must focus on one artist
- Projects requesting funding that would, is or could be covered by the deal the artist/band has with a label, publisher, management company or other relationships (e.g. touring costs).
- Capital projects (e.g. building work)
- Buying equipment
- Building a studio
Budget and FAQs
A balanced budget:
PRS Foundation and Momentum partners need to see a balanced budget (i.e. a budget submission that shows that a Momentum grant will help your project to be effective and to break even).
For example, your total Momentum project expenditure may be £30,000. If before adding a request amount from PRS Foundation you are projecting project income of £20,000, you would request £10,000 in support from PRS Foundation so that income equals expenditure and your budget balances.
Momentum advisors work on the frontline of artist development and understand realistic costs and income projections. Please ensure costs given are realistic to your career level and financial situation and that projected income is realistic and achievable. Momentum funded projects can be ambitious as we want our support to significantly impact your career, but you should stick to or near industry standard levels of expenditure.
Use the ‘details’ box:
The Momentum budget template allows you to add extra information in the ‘details’ box. Advisors prefer to see general breakdowns of expenditure areas. Rather than simply stating Marketing and Promotion will come to £10,000 we prefer you to use the ‘details’ box to break this down so we can see likely amounts for marketing and promotion (e.g. PR (£x,xxx); Plugging (£y,yyy); Digital Marketing (£z,zzz)).
For more budget tips watch our ‘How to Apply Video’ by CLICKING HERE
What are the funding application deadlines?
The Momentum Music Fund has 4 deadlines a year. The next deadline is May 28th, 2019. We aim to communicate results back to all applicants with a decision within 8 weeks of a deadline passing. All our funding decisions for Momentum are made by an expert group panelists.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info and questions about the application form and process for applying.
What is Momentum Accelerator and what extra support is available to artists based in Liverpool?
For the January 2019 Momentum deadline, we have announced a new partnership with Liverpool City Council which will ensure that at least 1 Liverpool based artist will receive full Momentum grant support. At least a further 2 applicants will be considered for Momentum Accelerator support which includes a grant of up to £5,000, plus advice and support for the artist and their growing teams to help them reach a crucial tipping point and become more investment-ready in the future. Any artists selected for Momentum Accelerator will be eligible to apply in future deadlines to the Momentum Fund so we encourage Liverpool based artists and bands to apply to this deadline.
Support for Artist Managers
Many applications are made by artist managers on behalf of individual artists and bands. Artist managers make a significant contribution in terms of planning, managing and implementing planned Momentum projects.
Since launching in 2013, PRS Foundation has found that in many cases artist managers are contributing financially to ensure a project goes ahead. We expect and plan for this trend to continue, particularly where established managers and large management companies are involved.
In the vast majority of cases, Momentum support has had a significant impact on long-term income generation for the artist and their management team.
Since April 2018, and following advice from the Music Managers Forum (MMF), PRS Foundation recognise that for many artist managers industry trends have presented significant barriers to entry and income uncertainty. As a result, artist managers who are able to justify project management cost allocations may include a fair sum under ‘Artist Manager Project Management Contribution’ within the Expenditure Section of the Momentum Budget.
The ‘Artist Manager Project Management Contribution’ will be considered by independent advisors and Momentum partners on the following basis:
- We will prioritise expenditure which directly and significantly impacts on the career development of the artist*,
- A maximum of 15% of the total Momentum request amount can be attributed to ‘Artist Manager Project Management Contribution’,
- Any contribution made to cover project management costs must be justified within the application and in a separate question in the Budget section of the Momentum application form.
- Where it is possible for the artist manager or management company to contribute to the costs of the project we expect the application to include income contribution from management**
- Any resulting grant offers are agreements between PRS Foundation and the artist and grant support is paid to the artist. In the event that the artist terminates their working relationship with the artist manager before or during the proposed Momentum project activity timeline, any monies allocated to ‘Artist Manager Project Management Contribution’ shall be reclaimed by PRS Foundation and reallocated fairly at the discretion of PRS Foundation following consultation with both parties,
* Please weigh up the potential long-term impact of your project management contribution against the potential impact on your artist’s development of spending the grant elsewhere
** The artist’s offer amount may be reduced if independent expert advisors recommend that management could or would otherwise be contributing financially to the proposed project.
PRS Foundation also encourages artist managers to state the in-kind value of their support on the project within the ‘in-kind income’ box below the budget.