PPL Momentum Accelerator
Through the evaluation of our PPL Momentum Music Fund and evidence from over 4,000 applications per year, we identified talent pipeline gaps across the country. Many music creators show strong musical potential but are unable to capitalise upon this due to financial barriers, gaps in regional infrastructure, knowledge, advice, and access to industry platforms.
PPL Momentum Accelerator’s long term approach supports the development of these outstanding artists and bands outside of London who struggle to reach a crucial career tipping points, and with partners provide support for a number of future industry professionals such as managers, promoters, record labels, music publishers, booking agents, supporting sustainable regional scenes across the UK.
Launched as a pilot in Liverpool in 2019, Momentum will run in two areas of the UK in 2020-21, Yorkshire and Liverpool City Region.
The fund can support projects by songwriters, artists, bands, and performers who are writing their own music based in Yorkshire and Liverpool City Region.
The aims of PPL Momentum Accelerator are:
- To provide vital and timely financial support of up to £5k which will help talented artists and bands outside London to reach or get beyond early career tipping points
- To enable artists and bands become more investment-ready in the future
- To support regional industry infrastructure and access to team members so that artists and bands do not need to leave their region to progress in their careers
- Provide access to industry-facing platforms (e.g. live platforms, radio and DSP access, industry interest)
- Provide knowledge and advice to enable music creators to generate income, build audiences and sustain careers
- Support a diverse range of music creators across the UK
- Support sustainable regional scenes, with income generated staying in the area
Guidance and FAQs
Am I eligible?
Who should apply?
Who shouldn’t apply?
How much can I apply for?
What can’t be covered by a PPL Momentum Accelerator grant?
We received a grant already through PPL Momentum Accelerator. When can we apply again?
When are the deadlines?
If you can answer YES to the below questions you may qualify for PPL Momentum Accelerator support and should consider applying.
- Are you an artist/band based in an Accelerator region (Yorkshire* or Liverpool City Region)?
- Do you write or perform your own music?
- Have you been profiled/featured in regional or national press, media and received coverage in blogs as an artist/band?
- Have you played shows or been asked to play multiple shows across your region?
- Do you have evidence of a strong fan base regionally?
- Are you making your first steps in getting national interest or already gaining some national attention?
- Do you have early signs of interest and/or working informally with other music professionals or organisations? (e.g. management, record label, booking agent, press)
*We define Yorkshire by the areas covered by Local Enterprise Partnerships of Leeds City Region (West Yorkshire), Sheffield City Region (South Yorkshire), York & North Yorkshire (including Craven, Hambleton, Harrogate, Richmondshire, Ryedale, Scarborough and Selby) alongside the local authorities of East Riding of Yorkshire and Kingston upon Hull. However PPL Momentum Music remains open to applications from eligible music creators from across the UK. You can find out more about all of our funding opportunities here.
Artists/Bands applying for PPL Momentum Accelerator must show strong musical potential but face barriers to reach or get beyond crucial early career tipping points, with signs of interest and/or working informally with other music professionals or organisations. Applicants should show regional progression and growth as an artist with the potential to fast-track to reach a national tipping point in the next 6 months – and a plan to back that up. The activity that funding would support must take place in the UK.
- An artist/band not based in an Accelerator region (Yorkshire or Liverpool City Region)
- This application is not for artists/bands just starting out, demoing and playing their first gigs. If you are at an earlier stage in your career please click here for other funding options, including The Open Fund or Launchpad if based in Yorkshire.
- Those previously in receipt of The PPL Momentum Fund, The Hitmaker Fund or The Composers’ Fund cannot apply to PPL Momentum Accelerator
PPL Momentum Accelerator offers grants of up to £5,000.
- Recording and release
- Live Performance / Touring^
- High quality and innovative broadcast or pre-recorded online content^^
- Promotion and marketing
- Creation of new music / Time to create
- Fees to creative collaborators
- Education / Training
- Equipment (max 20% budget)^^^A combination of the above
We cannot fund marketing/promotion of new music without also funding an element of creation or performance.
In conjunction with regional partners Music:Leeds and Launchpad on top of grants support, PPL Momentum Accelerator offers the following additional support to grantees:
Grantees receive bespoke advice and mentoring, and the programme develops team members (existing team, plus pairing with regional industry professionals)
Showcase Support: artists will play key regional and national showcase events (e.g. The Great Escape, Sound City, Tramlines, Live At Leeds)
^ Adheres to social distancing rules and is within Government guidance at the time.
^^ Adheres to social distancing rules and is within Government guidance at the time and please ensure that you comply with licensing regulations relating to live streams and pre-recorded content. Signed music creators should consult contracts and liaise with record companies and music publishers if needed to ensure that content is cleared for use and for exploitation.
^^^ applicants can apply for equipment or software costs which enable creation or new types of performances where those costs represent up to 20% of the total project budget.
- Van/car purchase
- International touring
- Support for a roster of artists – each application must focus on one artist
- Projects requesting funding that would, is or could be covered by the deal the artist/band has with a label, publisher, management company or other relationships
- Capital projects (e.g. building work)
- Buying equipment
- Building a studio
- Salary costs or living costs
No music creator can receive 2 grants in one calendar year through The Open Fund/Women Make Music, and we prefer for applicants to wait until their funded project is complete before reapplying.
Furthermore, PPL Momentum Accelerator grantees cannot reapply to Accelerator and must instead apply to PPL Momentum for suitable projects – something that is actively encouraged at least 12 months after Accelerator grant support is offered.
The 2020 deadlines are:
- Deadline 1: 7th August 2020 / We aim to communicate a decision to all applicants within 8 weeks of a deadline
- Deadline 2: Spring 2021
Liverpool City Region – Following our successful pilot edition in 2019, we will be announcing a Liverpool City Region deadline soon. All applications must be submitted by 6pm on the day of the deadline.
When applying, keep in mind that we can only support activity happening after the decision date for your deadline – this will mean your activity must be at least 8 weeks after the deadline.
Applications are now closed.
All deadlines are subject to change – check guidance regularly