Latest coronavirus advice to grantees with overseas activities or performances
Last updated 24 April 2020
If you have received PRS Foundation support to perform or undertake activities overseas it is important that you familiarise yourself with the latest information available about coronavirus (COVID-19) so you are able to make informed decisions. We have consulted our funding partners to provide this latest advice.
Event specific updates:
Sadly, it was announced on 6th March that The City of Austin has cancelled SXSW 2020. Please see the official announcement here
Funding partners will monitor the situation in order to offer bespoke advice to grantees affected by this decision and we have created this SXSW 2020 FAQs page which will be updated as news comes in.
Tallinn Music Week Postponement:
It was announced on 10th March that Tallinn Music Week will be postponed to the new date of 26th – 30th August 2020.
It was announced on 13th March that MusExpo will be postponed until later in the year. They are yet to announce the new date.
It was announced on 20th March that Jazzahead 2020 will be cancelled and postponed next year.
It was announced on 13th March that Classical:NEXT will be postponed to a date later in the year.
Canadian Music Week
Canadian Music Week announced on 16th March that it will be postponed to 8th – 13th September.
Schweizer Kunstlerborse: Latest official update 5th March 2020 from Schweizer Kunstlerborse
Rochester Jazz Festival
Rochester Jazz Festival announced on 3 April that it will be cancelled. They hope to reschedule the festival for the autumn.
Midem announced on 30th March that it will be cancelled. The next edition of Midem is programmed for June 1-4 2021
The UK Government’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office:
The latest advice on travel in regards to the coronavirus
The latest advice and information on the specific country you are travelling to
European Music Exporters Exchange (EMEE):
World Health Organization:
Grant conditions and commitments
For SXSW 2020 and other ISF grants approved prior to March 2020:
PRS Foundation and ISF funding partners will honour all approved commitments at 100% of the approved grant where an international showcase event has been cancelled due to the Coronavirus pandemic^.
We ask grantees to complete our Exceptional Circumstances Form here. This requires grantees to outline the impacts of cancellation or postponement and to provide updated budgets so that PRS Foundation can make recommendations on behalf of partners.
You may be required to submit evidence of losses due to non-recoverable expenditure^.
^Grantees may be eligible for refunds from flight or accommodation providers and/or may be able to make insurance claims (see above) to recover some costs. We expect in most cases – even those where some expenses can be recovered – grantees will make a loss and as such a default position of 100% payment has been agreed.
In some cases where recovered expenses are small, grantees may propose alternative activities which benefit the music creator’s development. PRS Foundation and partners are likely to approve such suggestions and honour our grants commitment.
In exceptional circumstances where significant costs can be recovered and the grantee is not going to make a loss, PRS Foundation may request to reclaim a fair proportion of the grant and will reinvest in international showcasing.
We understand grantees are in a difficult position and are not rushing decisions. We will not make decisions which drive a grantee or a representative into further losses/debt.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we deal with an unprecedented situation, and rest assured we will make decisions in the best interests of the music creators involved.
Where an event has been postponed:
- If an event you have already received a PRS Foundation payment for is postponed and you can still commit to attending, we advise caution in making travel bookings until you know more. Partners are happy with you carrying support over to the rescheduled date and reporting as usual to claim your final payment.
- If in the above scenario, the postponement has incurred costs which affect your cash-flow, you may request an advance of a fair proportion of your final payment – something partners will consider.
- If an event you have already received a PRS Foundation payment for is postponed and you are no longer available or no longer want to attend as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, you may contact us to discuss the implications further. It is expected we would take a similar approach taken for cancelled events (see above)
In any of those three scenarios, you must complete our Exceptional Circumstances Form here. Please indicate urgency and we will inform you of our decision as soon as possible.
How do we liaise with PRS Foundation?
We ask grantees to complete our Exceptional Circumstances Form here. You will be able to indicate the urgency of your submission and we strive to get back to urgent cases within 2-3 working days. Please email email@example.com if a decision is required sooner.
How does this impact recent or future applicants?
For those considering applying to PRS Foundation schemes
Our funding opportunities remain open and accessible and we do not currently expect changes to deadlines, or significant delays to the assessment and decision-making process. You should continue to apply and feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions relating to funding applications.
For international activities, it is vital you check and comply with the latest UK Government advice and FCO travel advice. Projects which conflict with that advice are unlikely to be supported.
As such we discourage applications for international activities which take place between March-May because they are unlikely to go ahead as planned with the expected music creator development benefits. In most cases, you will have missed relevant deadlines anyway. For events taking place in the coming months where there is uncertainly, apply caution and expect any offer of support to come with related conditions.
If you’re worried about coronavirus affecting your project’s expenditure, we encourage you to use the contingency allowance.
In the meantime, we are working closely with funding partners and trustees to consider all scenarios and advise you to read the below section so that you are aware of the potential impact of coronavirus on decisions and offers.
For those who have recently applied for PRS Foundation support for international activities
If your recent application involves international activity, please monitor coronavirus advice from UK Government, relevant international authorities and event organisers.
What happens next?
PRS Foundation and funding partners are monitoring the situation and assessors will be advised to score applications based on our funding priorities, criteria and latest information available to us.
We expect the following scenarios:
- Unsuccessful applicants will be informed as per usual practice.
- i) Where a decision is hard to make due to uncertainty around coronavirus and your project, please expect a slight delay in the decision-making process. Please contact email@example.com if this causes issues and feel free to provide an update to your plans if you know your plans will be affected by coronavirus.ii) Where advisors and partners would like to support an application, an offer will be issued which allows the applicant to consider making further plans.
A condition will be placed on this offer stating that all payments and offers are subject to coronavirus-related developments and that grantees should exercise caution before incurring expenses in light of the ongoing situation.
Payments will be delayed where the PRS Foundation and funding partners deem it appropriate.
Funding partners will update terms and conditions with an express force majeure clause such that if funded activities are rendered impossible due to the coronavirus crisis, then funds may be returned.
PRS Foundation has created a system which allows grantees to outline exceptional circumstances and report on expenditure and income so that PRS Foundation and partners can make decisions based in the best interests of the music creators involved.
This system may be used for those offered funding support in the foreseeable future.