International Showcase Fund Update – March 2018
It has been a very busy quarter for international showcasing!
Eurosonic Noorderslag kicked off 2018 for the International Showcase Fund with some real wins for UK artists in the Netherlands! Nilüfer Yanya, Yxng Bane, Chelou, Fenne Lily, Freya Ridings, Hak Baker, Housewives, IDER, Keir, and Callum Beattie all went to Eurosonic with support from the International Showcase Fund. Head over to the PRS Foundation Instagram account to see a stories takeover from Fenne Lily. We have already heard about a few amazing outcomes:
- As a result of showcasing at Eurosonic, Nilufer Yanya and her team have confirmed seven European festival performances including MS Dockville (Hamburg) and Sirens (Luxemburg), as well as broadcast opportunities including SRF, Switzerland’s biggest radio station, 3FM, and Swiss National Radio, Couleur 3.
- Many of the artists got BBC 6 Music coverage on Tom Ravenscroft’s Eurosonic feature, including Housewives who were also mentioned in the DiS review of the festival.
Folk Alliance International is always big for UK artists, in no small part, thanks to the showcasing hustle of our partners British Underground. This year the International Showcase Fund supported Hannah Sanders and Ben Savage, Danni Nicholls, Jake Morley, Worry Dolls and Dizraeli. Head over to the PRS Foundation Instagram account to see a stories takeover from Worry Dolls.
Finally, SXSW took place in Austin, Texas earlier this month, and the International Showcase Fund supported a massive 38 UK artists to attend. There are so many wins from the festival that our press log is bursting at the seams! Here’s just a few highlights, including some interviews that we captured from the ground in Austin:
- Jade Bird was the international winner of the 2018 Grulke Prize! Congratulations Jade!
- The Fish Police have worked closely with our Talent Development Partners Heart n Soul, and after meeting International Showcase Fund partners British Underground at our talent development conference in Hull, a collaboration was forged! Following a brilliant single campaign for Cactus, which garnered a premiere in The Independent, The Fish Police took SXSW by storm, and came back from the US in NPR’s ‘What We Love at SXSW‘ playlist.
- We filmed and released interviews in Austin with Catholic Action, LAPs, Blue Lab Beats, and AJ Tracey, all supported by the International Showcase Fund. Watch them here.
- Lucy Rose, Jade Bird and Superorganism were all in the New York Times’ ‘South By Southwest 2018: 17 Acts That Stood Out‘ article.
- The International Showcase Fund supported three writer-producers, Sky Adams, Danny Shah and LostBoy, to attend SXSW Songs, a unique songwriting camp with a curated lineup of established producers and songwriters from around the world. We have heard some of the results and they are amazing. Congrats all!
- Nubya Garcia and Girl Ray were both in ‘10 Artists Making a Splash at SXSW‘ on Rolling Stone.
- We were super happy to introduce some of the International Showcase Fund artists to the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan out at SXSW. Will Hodgkinson at The Times wrote about Sadiq at SXSW, as well as grantees Goat Girl, Sam Fender, Moses Boyd and more…
Saqiq Khan with International Showcase Fund grantees, PRS Foundation and partners
- The International Showcase Fund will support LongFellow, Pheonix O’Neill and Jazz Morley for MusExpo at the end of April. Read more.
- The International Showcase Fund will support Marsicans and SCOPE to go to Canadian Music Week. Read more/RT!
The International Showcase Fund is a partnership between PRS Foundation, Department for International Trade, British Underground, Arts Council England, the Musicians’ Union, PPL, Creative Scotland, Wales Arts International and Arts Council Wales in association with PledgeMusic.